Vedanta Aluminium recycles 12.5 billion litres of water in FY2322nd March 2023
On World Water Day, recommits to becoming Net Water Positive by 2030
New Delhi; 22nd March 2023: Vedanta Aluminium Business, India’s largest producer of aluminium, has recycled 12.5 billion litres of water as of February during FY 2022-23. On World Water Day, the company has also undertaken the groundbreaking ceremony of a new Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) with a processing capacity of 440 kilo litres per day (KLD), at its mega aluminium smelter in Jharsuguda. Once operational, the treated water from the facility will be reused within the plant premises, reducing fresh water consumption by 15 crore litres per year. This reiterates the company’s commitment to become Net Water Positive within the decade, leveraging advanced technologies for efficient water utilisation and community participation towards building a sustainable water footprint. Vedanta Aluminium’s water sustainability efforts are aligned to the 6th UN Sustainable Development Goal of ‘Clean Water and Sanitation’.
In the week leading up to World Water Day, Vedanta Aluminium organized an interactive session with Ramveer Tanwar, popularly known as the Pond Man of India and a noted pond conservationist, to encourage employees and community members to work towards water conservation in their personal and professional capacities. Desilting and restoration activities of several waterbodies were also undertaken at its operations in Kalahandi and Jharsuguda districts, Odisha and in Korba, Chhattisgarh, with the active participation of employee volunteers and professional experts. Further, the company organized community marches and street plays at local educational institutions to spread increased awareness of the need to conserve water.
Speaking about the program, Mr. Rahul Sharma, CEO, Vedanta Limited – Aluminium Business, said, “On World Water Day, we recommit to our mission of becoming Net Water Positive and ensuring a sustainable water footprint in the regions where we operate. The quality of our lives and business sustainability is contingent on the planet and hence, excellence in ESG (Environment, Social & Governance) forms the bedrock of our aspirations. Water is a critical shared resource that is crucial to sustaining the ecology and communities around us, and hence, our endeavours are aimed at ensuring the sustainability of our operations and making more water available for local communities and biodiversity.”
Commenting on the impact of the new STP project, Mr. Ajay Pandey, COO – Power, Vedanta Jharsuguda, said “Our operations maintain a laser-focus on ensuring the judicious usage of precious water resources. By deploying a strategic mix of resource conservation and source rejuvenation programs, we have been successful in achieving a steady improvement in our water management efforts. The new Sewage Treatment Plant provides an additional fillip to our efforts in this regard and will help accelerate our roadmap to water positivity.”
The company has a structured 4-pronged approach to water sustainability, which involves:
Robust monitoring of water usage:
- Water management is integrated into decision-making processes for all projects
- Water-related risk assessments have been carried out to identify the degree of water stress, and accordingly, undertake mitigation measures
- All water quality parameters, including reduction of specific water consumption, are strictly monitored
- Quick Response Teams respond to extreme weather conditions, including unprecedented heavy rainfall
- Internet of Things (IoT) and other leading-edge technologies deployed for efficient & automated water management
Ensuring maximum water reutilization:
- Stringent control measures and technologies adopted to ensure zero discharge operations
- High-Concentration Slurry Disposal (HCSD) system deployed for ash management to ensure maximum water recycling through feedback loops
- Operational excellence in Cooling Tower systems have resulted in one of the best Cycles of Concentration (COC) globally; higher the COC, less is the additional freshwater intake
Creating a positive water footprint:
- Partnership with TÜV SÜD, a global leader in sustainability solutions, for creating the roadmap for Vedanta Aluminium to become net water positive
- Rainwater harvesting infrastructure and on-site water reservoirs created for water sourcing during contingency scenarios
Working with local communities:
- Restoration and rejuvenation of over 40 community waterbodies in the vicinity of its operations in Chhattisgarh and Odisha in this fiscal alone
- Training communities on growing climate-resilient crops and adopting better methodologies (like SRI technology in paddy cultivation) for improving yield in the face of irregular climactic conditions
- Helping local farming communities adopt drip-irrigation, treadle pump, solar powered water pumps, rainwater harvesting structures like percolation tanks, etc. to boost irrigation potential and reduce dependency on monsoons for cropping
- Construction of hundreds of community water infrastructures like check dams, tube wells, bore wells, farm ponds, percolation tanks, etc. to help communities get perennial access to water for household and irrigation purposes
- Integrated watershed management benefiting thousands of communities through livelihood creation, capacity building, new livelihood opportunities and more
Vedanta Aluminium, a business of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of aluminium, manufacturing more than half of India’s aluminium i.e., 2.27 million tonnes in FY22. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. Vedanta Aluminium ranks 2nd in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) 2022 world rankings for aluminium industry, a reflection of its sustainable development practices. With its world-class aluminium smelters, alumina refinery and power plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
About Vedanta Limited:
Vedanta Limited, a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources Limited, is one of the world’s leading Oil & Gas and Metals company with significant operations in Oil & Gas, Zinc, Lead, Silver, Copper, Iron Ore, Steel, and Aluminium & Power across India, South Africa and Namibia. For two decades, Vedanta has been contributing significantly to nation building. Governance and sustainable development are at the core of Vedanta's strategy, with a strong focus on health, safety, and environment. Vedanta has put in place a comprehensive framework to be the ESG leader in the natural resources sector. Vedanta is committed to reducing carbon emissions to zero by 2050 or sooner and has pledged $5 billion over the next 10 years to accelerate the transition to net zero operations. Giving back is in the DNA of Vedanta, which is focused on enhancing the lives of local communities. The company’s flagship social impact program, Nand Ghars, have been set up as model anganwadis focused on eradicating child malnutrition, providing education, healthcare, and empowering women with skill development. Under the aegis of the Anil Agarwal Foundation, the umbrella entity for Vedanta’s social initiatives, the Vedanta group has pledged Rs 5000 crore over the next five years on social impact programmes with a thrust on nutrition, women & child development, healthcare, animal welfare, and grass-root level sports. Vedanta and the group companies have been featured in Dow Jones Sustainability Index, and was conferred Frost & Sullivan Sustainability Awards 2020, Golden Peacock Award for excellence in Corporate Governance 2022 and certified as a Great Place to Work 2022. Vedanta Limited is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange.
For more information, please visit www.vedantalimited.com
About Vedanta Aluminium Business:
Vedanta Aluminium, a business of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of aluminium, manufacturing more than half of India’s aluminium i.e., 2.29 million tonnes in FY23. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. Vedanta Aluminium ranks 2nd in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) 2022 world rankings for aluminium industry, a reflection of its sustainable development practices. With its world-class aluminium smelters, alumina refinery and power plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
For more information, please log on to www.vedantaaluminium.com
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” – that is, statements related to future, not past, events. In this context, forward-looking statements often address our expected future business and financial performance, and often contain words such as “expects,” “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,” “believes,” “seeks,” “should” or “will.” Forward-looking statements by their nature address matters that are, to different degrees, uncertain. For us, uncertainties arise from the behaviour of financial and metals markets including the London Metal Exchange, fluctuations in interest and or exchange rates and metal prices; from future integration of acquired businesses; and from numerous other matters of national, regional, and global scale, including those of a political, economic, business, competitive or regulatory nature. These uncertainties may cause our actual future results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements. We do not undertake to update our forward-looking statements.