Vedanta Aluminium develops Extended Reality experience zone to augment workforce safety27th April 2022
- Reaffirms commitment to safety on World Day for Health & Safety at Work
New Delhi, April 27th, 2022: Vedanta Aluminium, India’s largest producer of aluminium, has developed an Extended Reality (XR) experience zone to augment safety training for its employees and partners. The zone makes use of Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR) technologies to enable simulation-based training, thus ensuring an immersive, engaging and safe learning experience for the workforce.
With the onset of the pandemic accelerating the pace of technology adoption world over, Vedanta Aluminium has gone a step further to re-tool its business with fast-tracked adoption of digital solutions, intelligent automation and in-house innovations to bring in a step-change in manufacturing excellence and, in the process, boost workforce safety.
Examples of advanced technology deployments by Vedanta Aluminium for safety excellence include:
- Deep Learning algorithms and sophisticated modelling techniques that allow Advanced Asset Performance Management at Vedanta’s smelters and power plants
- Digital twin technology for predictive and prescriptive maintenance to ensure greater efficiency, avoid downtimes and reduce safety risks with minimal or zero human touch
- Video analytics for fire detection and monitoring of the workforce’s adherence to Personal Protective Equipment
- Manufacturing Execution System (MES) to ensure visibility of all critical plant operations, allowing for remote decision-making through mobile applications, while employees can maintain social distancing and yet fulfil their activities on the plant floor
- Robotics Process Automation (RPA) is being tested to boost efficiency while optimizing repetitive processes
- To bolster security of workforce and assets, BALCO has developed a highly sophisticated Centralized Security Operations Centre (CSOC) that marries several cutting-edge security solutions like edge-based security analytics for incident detection and response to effective management of security resources on the ground, besides enablement of intelligence collection
- Through Vedanta Spark initiative, the company is working with multiple start-ups on emerging technologies for business solutions, including for employee safety and wellbeing
- ‘Sentinel’ digital application and drones are being used for strict monitoring of personnel movement inside plant and township premises
- Mobile & web applications have been developed inhouse for monitoring of safety parameters at various work sites
Speaking about Vedanta Aluminium’s endeavors to augment safety with digital interventions, Mr. Rahul Sharma, CEO – Aluminium Business, Vedanta Ltd., said, “Our endeavours in the realm of Environment, Social & Governance excellence intersects our vision for building smart manufacturing plants of the future, in a way that serves as a win-win for both operational efficiencies and people safety. On the World Day of Health & Safety at Work, we recommit to nurturing a safety-first culture that also extends beyond the ambit of our operations to include the communities around us.”
Vedanta Aluminium’s employees and safety professionals voluntarily impart safety awareness sessions to the communities in their areas of operations on themes ranging from road safety and fire safety to COVID appropriate behaviour, health & wellbeing, and more throughout the year. In fact, the company’s all-women fire fighting squad ‘Agnivahini’ leads the effort to spread awareness on fire safety amongst local communities. Furthermore, the company has deployed Mobile Health Units that provide doorstep healthcare services across hundreds of villages in Odisha and Chhattisgarh on an everyday basis.
Vedanta Aluminium, a business of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of aluminium, manufacturing half of India’s aluminium i.e., 1.97 million tonnes in FY21. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. With its world-class aluminium smelters, alumina refinery and power plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow. www.vedantaaluminium.com
About Vedanta Limited:
Vedanta Limited, a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources Limited, is one of the world’s leading Oil & Gas and Metals company with significant operations in Oil & Gas, Zinc, Lead, Silver, Copper, Iron Ore, Steel, and Aluminium & Power across India, South Africa and Namibia. For two decades, Vedanta has been contributing significantly to nation building. Governance and sustainable development are at the core of Vedanta's strategy, with a strong focus on health, safety, and environment. Vedanta has put in place a comprehensive framework to be the ESG leader in the natural resources sector. Vedanta is committed to reducing carbon emissions to zero by 2050 or sooner and has pledged $5 billion over the next 10 years to accelerate the transition to net zero operations. Giving back is in the DNA of Vedanta, which is focused on enhancing the lives of local communities. The company’s flagship social impact program, Nand Ghars, have been set up as model anganwadis focused on eradicating child malnutrition, providing education, healthcare, and empowering women with skill development. Under the aegis of the Anil Agarwal Foundation, the umbrella entity for Vedanta’s social initiatives, the Vedanta group has pledged Rs 5000 crore over the next five years on social impact programmes with a thrust on nutrition, women & child development, healthcare, animal welfare, and grass-root level sports. Vedanta and the group companies company have been featured in Dow Jones Sustainability Index 2020, and was conferred Frost & Sullivan Sustainability Awards 2020, CII Environmental Best Practices Award 2020, CSR Health Impact Award 2020, CII National Award 2020 for Excellence in Water Management, CII Digital Transformation Award 2020, ICSI National Award 2020 for excellence in Corporate Governance, People First HR Excellence Award 2020, ‘Company with Great Managers 2020’ by People Business and certified as a Great Place to Work 2021. Vedanta’s flagship Nand Ghar Project was identified as best CSR project by Government of Rajasthan. Vedanta Limited is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange.
For more information, please visit www.vedantalimited.com
About Vedanta Aluminium Business:
Vedanta Aluminium, a business of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of aluminium, manufacturing more than half of India’s aluminium at 2.26 million tonnes in FY22. Vedanta is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. With its world-class Aluminium Smelters, Alumina Refinery and Power Plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
For more information, please log on to www.vedantaaluminium.com
For Further Information, Please Contact:
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” – that is, statements related to future, not past, events. In this context, forward-looking statements often address our expected future business and financial performance, and often contain words such as “expects,” “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,” “believes,” “seeks,” “should” or “will.” Forward-looking statements by their nature address matters that are, to different degrees, uncertain. For us, uncertainties arise from the behaviour of financial and metals markets including the London Metal Exchange, fluctuations in interest and or exchange rates and metal prices; from future integration of acquired businesses; and from numerous other matters of national, regional, and global scale, including those of a political, economic, business, competitive or regulatory nature. These uncertainties may cause our actual future results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements. We do not undertake to update our forward-looking statements.