Vedanta Aluminium breaks into Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) 2021 Top 10 rankings14th February 2022
- Ranks 4th among global aluminium companies
New Delhi; 14th February 2022: Vedanta Aluminium Business, India’s largest producer of aluminium and value-added products, secures 4th rank among global aluminium producers in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) family. The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices are a family of best-in-class global benchmarks that track the performance of the world’s leading companies in terms of economic, environmental and social criteria. More than 10,000 companies across various industries undergo annual evaluations of their sustainability practices, which are both industry-specific and financially material, of which only top ranked companies within each industry are selected for inclusion in the DJSI family.
Speaking about Vedanta Aluminium’s vision, Mr Rahul Sharma, CEO – Aluminium Business, Vedanta Limited, said, “Vedanta Aluminium’s Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) rankings reflect our unrelenting focus on seamlessly integrating the principles of sustainability into the way we do business. We firmly believe that sustainable business practices form the bedrock for generating long-term value for our customers and communities, and lasting positive impact on the environment. This re-energises our commitment to achieve Net Zero Carbon by 2050.”
Vedanta Aluminium’s approach to sustainability spans critical domains such as Energy and Climate Change Management, Water Management, Biodiversity Management, Air Quality and Emissions control, Health & Safety, Social Impact and Governance, etc. The company’s Sustainable Development Reports encapsulates its sustainability performance year on year and can be accessed on the company website: www.vedantaaluminium.com
Key highlights of the company’s sustainability performance in FY 2020-21 include:
- Operational excellence parameters for the production of aluminium
- Vedanta Aluminium distributed economic value to the tune of USD 4.19 billion
- Climate action initiatives have resulted in GHG emission intensity reduction by 21% at the Aluminium Business against FY 2011-12 as baseline
- Towards decarbonization of operations, Vedanta Aluminium has set a target of achieving 24% reduction in GHG emissions intensity over 2012 baseline by FY 2025.
- Recycled 16.5 billion litres of water across operations
- 93% of mined out area rehabilitated as part of biodiversity management
- 308 Million Units of renewable power purchased for producing aluminium
- 4 Million GJ in energy savings through energy conservation efforts, resulting in equivalent GHG savings of 0.32 million tCO2e (tonnes of Carbon Dioxide equivalent)
- 118% of the generated ash utilized in avenues such as mine backfilling, raw material for cement and brick manufacturing, road construction, and low-lying area filling
- Deep interventions in community welfare dimensions of livelihood and skill development, women’s empowerment, quality education, health & sanitation, etc. improving lives of 5 lakh people hailing from local communities
- Since outbreak of COVID, Vedanta Aluminium has supported the local communities, district administrations, state governments, central government, with grocery supplies, PPEs, medical equipment, oxygen, financial contribution, and many other need-based requirements
Vedanta Aluminium Business, a division of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest manufacturer of aluminium, producing over half of India’s aluminium i.e., 1.97 million tonnes in FY21. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. With its world-class aluminium smelters, alumina refinery and power plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
About Vedanta Limited:
Vedanta Limited, a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources Limited, is one of the world’s leading Oil & Gas and Metals company with significant operations in Oil & Gas, Zinc, Lead, Silver, Copper, Iron Ore, Steel, and Aluminium & Power across India, South Africa and Namibia. For two decades, Vedanta has been contributing significantly to nation building. Governance and sustainable development are at the core of Vedanta's strategy, with a strong focus on health, safety, and environment. Vedanta has put in place a comprehensive framework to be the ESG leader in the natural resources sector. Vedanta is committed to reducing carbon emissions to zero by 2050 or sooner and has pledged $5 billion over the next 10 years to accelerate the transition to net zero operations. Giving back is in the DNA of Vedanta, which is focused on enhancing the lives of local communities. The company’s flagship social impact program, Nand Ghars, have been set up as model anganwadis focused on eradicating child malnutrition, providing education, healthcare, and empowering women with skill development. Under the aegis of the Anil Agarwal Foundation, the umbrella entity for Vedanta’s social initiatives, the Vedanta group has pledged Rs 5000 crore over the next five years on social impact programmes with a thrust on nutrition, women & child development, healthcare, animal welfare, and grass-root level sports. Vedanta and the group companies have been featured in Dow Jones Sustainability Index, and was conferred Frost & Sullivan Sustainability Awards 2020, Golden Peacock Award for excellence in Corporate Governance 2022 and certified as a Great Place to Work 2022. Vedanta Limited is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange.
For more information, please visit www.vedantalimited.com
About Vedanta Aluminium Business:
Vedanta Aluminium, a business of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of aluminium, manufacturing more than half of India’s aluminium i.e., 2.27 million tonnes in FY22. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. Vedanta Aluminium ranks 2nd in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) 2022 world rankings for aluminium industry, a reflection of its sustainable development practices. With its world-class aluminium smelters, alumina refinery and power plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
For more information, please log on to www.vedantaaluminium.com
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” – that is, statements related to future, not past, events. In this context, forward-looking statements often address our expected future business and financial performance, and often contain words such as “expects,” “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,” “believes,” “seeks,” “should” or “will.” Forward-looking statements by their nature address matters that are, to different degrees, uncertain. For us, uncertainties arise from the behaviour of financial and metals markets including the London Metal Exchange, fluctuations in interest and or exchange rates and metal prices; from future integration of acquired businesses; and from numerous other matters of national, regional, and global scale, including those of a political, economic, business, competitive or regulatory nature. These uncertainties may cause our actual future results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements. We do not undertake to update our forward-looking statements.