Vedanta Lanjigarh organises Jan Sampark Karyakram on Gandhi Jayanti5th October 2021
- Unveils CSR Annual Report for FY 20-21 to highlight community development endeavours
Bhubaneswar, Odisha; 5th October 2021: Vedanta Limited, Lanjigarh, India’s premier producer of metallurgical grade alumina, has initiated ‘Jan Sampark Karyakram’ to further greater connect with the communities in the region. On the occasion, the company also unveiled its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Annual Report for FY 20-21 that encapsulates its community development endeavours in Kalahandi and Rayagada districts, in the realms of livelihood, education, healthcare, clean energy and more.
The event was attended by eminent dignitaries from the region, including community leaders, NGO partners, and social workers. The company’s leadership addressed the august gathering on Vedanta’s renewed vigour towards nurturing meaningful relationships with the community and partnering in their progress, for the progress of the state and nation. Many people from the community also shared their views and suggestions on the occasion and acknowledged Vedanta’s contribution to Kalahandi & Rayagada Districts.
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. GG Pal, Dy. CEO – Alumina Business, Vedanta Ltd., said, “We truly believe that industries can become harbingers of socio-economic prosperity in the regions where they operate. Vedanta’s community welfare initiatives are aimed at improving the quality of life of our local communities. We believe that the true purpose of our business is to give back to our communities and to the environment that nurtures us. Our Jan Sampark Karyakram is another step forward in that direction and seeks to foster stronger relationships for the progress of both the local populace as well as the company.”
During the programme, the company also shared contact details and schedules of visits of the company’s ‘Jan Sampark’ Nodal Officers to the villages in its vicinity and beyond, to proactively foster greater connect with the people.
Speaking at the event, Mr. Pradeep Dishari, MLA, Lanjigarh, appreciated Vedanta’s contribution in the field of employment and for creating a state-of-the-art COVID Hospital in Bhawanipatna. He further said, “I request the local community members to extend their support towards Vedanta and the initiatives taken by the organization for growth and development of the region.”
Mr. Balabhadhra Majhi, Ex. MLA, Lanjigarh, took forward the conversation and shared his best wishes for the company’s growth. As a token of appreciation, he said, “I acknowledge Mr. GG Pal’s efforts of visiting numerous villages and understanding the residents’ concern and expectations from Vedanta.”
The company had also organized a drawing competition at Shree Jagannath High School, Jodabandha, and a debate competition at S.S.D. High School, Lanjigarh on the auspicious occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, and the winners of respective competitions were felicitated during the launch event. The event culminated with gifting of mementos such as tribal art paintings created by local women artisans supported by Vedanta Lanjigarh, to the dignitaries and small celebratory tokens sending them best wishes for the upcoming festivities on behalf of Vedanta.
Unveiled at the event, Vedanta Lanjigarh’s CSR Annual Report for FY 2020-21 highlights the company’s community development endeavours, which impact the lives of over 50,000 people annually, such as:
- Vedanta Hospital, a state-of-the-art medical facility at Lanjigarh, is a front-runner in important medical specialties such as Paediatrics, Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Orthopaedic, for the region. Catering to over 270 villages in the region, the hospital attends to an average of 13,000 patients annually.
- The company established Lanjigarh’s first English medium school – the DAV Vedanta International School, well-equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure and facilities like smart classrooms, modern computers etc. More than 1200 students study in the school which has created an aspiration for quality education among local communities.
- The company runs over 50 Nand Ghars, which are modernised anganwadis equipped with televisions for e-learning, safe drinking water and hygienic toilets, in Kalahandi and Rayagada. Nand Ghars act as centres of women & child development, by working in the areas of child health and nutrition, pre-school education, and health & skill development of women.
- Vedanta’s Child Welfare Project, an ongoing project since 2005 runs with an objective of providing basic pre-school facilities for children in the form of nutrition, holistic development and preparing them for formal education. Over 12,000 children have benefitted from this project, till date.
- Over 1127 families have been engaged in various sustainable livelihood initiatives including backyard poultry, mushroom cultivation etc.
- Nearly 550 households have benefitted from the poultry project, earning an additional income of around Rs. 3500-4000 per year.
- Sensitizing villagers towards sustainable development goals and bringing light to the lives of 5000 rural households through clean cooking and clean lighting, Vedanta Lanjigarh has replaced the kerosene/paraffin lanterns with solar lights and wood-fuelled chulhas with fuel efficient ones, supporting the overall health of women and extended study hours for children. Till date, 850 households across 25 villages have been benefitted by this initiative.
Vedanta is the largest producer of aluminium in India and remains the premier manufacturer of metallurgical grade alumina. The company operates a 2 MTPA (million tonnes per annum) capacity alumina refinery in Lanjigarh (Kalahandi district, Odisha), India since 2007 and an associated 90 MW captive power plant. With its world-class Aluminium Smelters, Alumina Refinery and Power Plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
About Vedanta Limited:
Vedanta Limited, a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources Limited, is one of the world’s leading Oil & Gas and Metals company with significant operations in Oil & Gas, Zinc, Lead, Silver, Copper, Iron Ore, Steel, and Aluminium & Power across India, South Africa, Namibia, and Australia. For two decades, Vedanta has been contributing significantly to nation building. Governance and sustainable development are at the core of Vedanta's strategy, with a strong focus on health, safety, and environment. Vedanta has put in place a comprehensive framework dedicating itself to the highest ESG standards to emerge as leaders in this space. It is among the 24 Indian companies who are signatories to the ‘Declaration of the Private Sector on Climate Change’ and is committed to decarbonizing its operations by 2050. Giving back is in the DNA of Vedanta, which is focused on enhancing the lives of local communities. The company’s flagship social impact program, Nand Ghars, have been set up as model anganwadis focused on eradicating child malnutrition, providing education, healthcare, and empowering women with skill development. Under the aegis of the Anil Agarwal Foundation, the umbrella entity for Vedanta’s social initiatives, the Vedanta group has pledged Rs 5000 crore over the next five years on social impact programmes with a thrust on nutrition, women & child development, healthcare, animal welfare, and grass-root level sports. Vedanta and the group companies company have been featured in Dow Jones Sustainability Index 2020, and was conferred Frost & Sullivan Sustainability Awards 2020, CII Environmental Best Practices Award 2020, CSR Health Impact Award 2020, CII National Award 2020 for Excellence in Water Management, CII Digital Transformation Award 2020, ICSI National Award 2020 for excellence in Corporate Governance, People First HR Excellence Award 2020, ‘Company with Great Managers 2020’ by People Business and certified as a Great Place to Work 2021. Vedanta’s flagship Nand Ghar Project was identified as best CSR project by Government of Rajasthan. Vedanta Limited is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange in India and has ADRs listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
For more information, please visit www.vedantalimited.com
About Vedanta Aluminium Business:
Vedanta Aluminium Business, a part of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of Aluminium, producing almost half of India’s aluminium or 1.96 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) in FY21. Vedanta is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. With its world-class Aluminium Smelters, Alumina Refinery and Power Plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.
For more information, please log on to www.vedantaaluminium.com
For Further Information, Please Contact:
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” – that is, statements related to future, not past, events. In this context, forward-looking statements often address our expected future business and financial performance, and often contain words such as “expects,” “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,” “believes,” “seeks,” “should” or “will.” Forward-looking statements by their nature address matters that are, to different degrees, uncertain. For us, uncertainties arise from the behaviour of financial and metals markets including the London Metal Exchange, fluctuations in interest and or exchange rates and metal prices; from future integration of acquired businesses; and from numerous other matters of national, regional, and global scale, including those of a political, economic, business, competitive or regulatory nature. These uncertainties may cause our actual future results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements. We do not undertake to update our forward-looking statements.